APPLYING YOUR FIRST POLY SPRAY COATING
So you’ve finally decided that polyurea spray coatings are the best choice for a secondary containment system for your wastewater storage tank. Not only is the polyurea solution waterproof, but it’s unyielding to outside elements. You think you can apply the coating yourself even though you’ve never worked with these types of chemicals before.
But as you start applying the spray foam, you realize that something is wrong. The polyurea coating is not coming out evenly, and the coating doesn’t seem to be sticking very well to the surface. You’re probably reasoning – “What could i be doing wrong?” or “Is my equipment broken?”
This can happen quite often, especially if you’ve never used poly coatings before. That’s why we have technicians on staff available at all times to help our customers get the right coating the first time around.
To help you get a consistent and effective coating on your first attempt, follow these tips:
- Preparation is key: This is the biggest reason why the customer-applied coatings fail. If you don’t prepare the surface properly, then the coating will not stick very well. Before you even prepare your equipment, take a look at the surface you’re about to spray. Ensure it’s clean of any oils, acids, salts, and additional elements that could impact the coating. With a clean and level surface, you should have no problem applying your coating.
- Repair the damage: Before applying the solution, you should check to ensure no cracks. If so, fill in any cracks and make sure the concrete surface isn’t damaged in any way. It would help if you considered replacing any caulking sealants as well.
- Read the instructions: You may think this is an obvious tip, but following the instructions will lead to (almost) no chance of a bad coating. If the instructions are too confusing, we advise you to give ArmorThane support a call. You need to make sure you understand the process before applying a polyurea coating. You may also want to verify your equipment and materials to ensure everything is ready for the task ahead.
- Prepare the area: You will need to install a primer on the surface. Next, bag off and mask the area to protect against any overspray, which includes any fixtures. You may want to use wire tape to get a clean-trimmed edge.
- Spray slowly and smoothly: A few things can happen when you’re spraying, such as over-spraying or issues with the spraying-off ratio. You need to be conscious of your surroundings when applying spray foam or polyurea. For instance, on a windy day, you’re going to want to spray against the wind. Make sure you’re wearing the proper protective gear when spraying into the wind because the applicator will be heavily exposed to over-spraying. You should also check if the solution is blended correctly before starting to apply the solution.
If you follow those tips, then you should have no difficulty when applying your polyurea coating.
Remember, it is best to get the polyurea coating applied right the first time, so it’s extremely important you are well prepared and know what you’re doing. Let ArmorThane Industrial Coatings assist! Contact ArmorThane today to get more information on their products and services.