Tips & Warning Signs for Mall Roof Maintenance
Category: roofing, malls Fixed budgets for commercial maintenance roof costs create a problem.
Fortunately, there is a simple solution. It is essential to spend time on roof maintenance before you have to spend money. Once the roof maintenance budget is consumed, it is tough to decide to put more money towards it.
Especially given that preventative maintenance is not an emergency Roof maintenance does not have to cost an arm and a leg, but it does cost time, attention, and a little bit of research. That does not mean you don’t have to account for roof maintenance in your budget.
Adding inspection time to CAM (Common Area Maintenance) fees is more than enough to consider for the time you should spend each year on your roof inspection, as well as addressing roof repairs when needed.
Let’s take a look at some great roof inspection methods, as well as roof warning signs that could indicate the possible need for a repair.
1. An inspection should take place at least twice a year. Especially for malls in more abstemious areas with heavy snowfall. Performing an examination every six months is diligent work, but any significant weather events should also be taken into accounts, such as heavy snowfall or storm. Be sure to check after these events for standing water and high-wind damage.
2. It’s everywhere: debris Branches, leaves, trash, tools, materials and other items can diminish the quality of a roof – water can gather under the thing and cause rusting, degeneration, etc. Always check for anything on the roof that does not belong, or has inadequate flashing.
3. We already took care of that: sites of previous leaks If you have already repaired your roof, be sure to check the site for any signs of the problem resurfacing. Once an area has been hazarded, it is all too easy for it to come under distress again. It’s important to us for our clients to have roofs in good shape. It’s even more important to recognize signs of roof distress. If you see any of these predicaments, it might be time to call us.
4. Water those: Ceiling Stains A brown blotch, a small drop on a ceiling tile. If there is a stain on the ceiling, and the pipes aren’t leaking, it’s time to call a professional. If you can see the leak, that means that it got through insulation and drywall and any other material to become visible. Damage has been done. And it can suddenly become an emergency when a customer slips and falls onto a lawsuit. Luckily, with technology like thermal imaging, identification and repair is not a guessing game, and we can get your roof back in good working order in no time.
5. Anyone else smells that?: Mold / Odor Similar to the ceiling stains, if it is evident to your senses, the damage is done. If you can smell or see mold, there is a moisture problem that could be due to a roof issue. Taking care of the source sooner rather than later is key to taking care of a mold problem.
6. If it’s a puddle, it’s a problem: Standing Water Standing water by itself does not indicate a problem, but if not correctly routed and cleaned can lead to deterioration, which leads to leaks. Not to mention the additional steadfast weight that crushes the roof deck.
7. Not the good kind: Bubbles Bubbles on a roof top can indicate captured moisture, or insulation board problems. This could be a minor improvement, but if left unaddressed, can become a break in the material. If the destruction goes unnoticed or unaddressed, it creates significant predicaments like rusting, tearing, and leaking.
8. It’s worse than you think: Flashing Voids Any building on the roof should have adequate flashing coverage around the entire base. A flashing void is as bad as having a tear. All flashing should be inspected at installation, and then checked after every significant weather event to help prevent spreading problems.
Keeping the roof in good shape, and knowing when it’s not should be a top priority for mall owners to prevent leaks and collapses. There are many news stories in recent years about collapsing roofs, make sure yours is not one of them. We have considered time-spending efforts, but there are more advanced roof examination methods like infrared scanning and membrane testing that can identify underlying problems. Problems that cannot be harangued with a visual examination.
To start a proactive roof maintenance plan with us and schedule an inspection, give ArmorThane a call today!
Get a Free Quote Topics: roofing, malls